Sourced from Google
What is Google SMS?
Google SMS (Short Message Service) enables you to easily get precise answers to specialised queries from your mobile phone or device. Send your query as a text message and get phone book listings, dictionary definitions, product prices and more. Just text. No links. No web pages. Simply the answers you’re looking to find.
How do I use it? (Note: Currently it’s a US only service)
- Enter your query as a text message. See some sample queries.
- Send the message to the US shortcode 46645 (GOOGL on most phones).
- Receive a text message (or messages) with your results, usually within a minute. Results may be labeled as “1of3”, “2of3”, etc.
- To get Google SMS help info sent directly to your phone, send the word ‘help’ as a text message to 46645.
Why should I use Google SMS?
- Get local business listings when you’re on the road and want to find a place to eat
- Compare online product prices with ones you find in retail stores
- Look up dictionary definitions to expand your vocabulary or prove a point
- Find other specialised types of information, as described in how to use Google SMS